Friday, January 21, 2011

Calisthenics: Metaphor Substitutions

  •  Sleeping like a log
    • Grimacing like a log
    • Sleeping like day-old tomato soup
    • Sleeping like a log in a wildfire
  •  Run like the wind
    • Doubting like the wind
    • Run like the stinking wind of the paper plant
  • A heart of stone
    • A heart of mint julep
    • A liver of linoleum
  • Music to my ears
    • Music to my fingernails
    • Yoga to my ears
    • Zydeco to my ears
  • Raining cats and dogs
    • Gambling cats and dogs
    • Raining cats and dogs along the wraparound porch

1 comment:

  1. Christine, your metaphors for typical, every day sayings are interesting. I like the way you have replaced parts of each with words that are completely unfamiliar and out of the ordinary, such as "A liver of linoleum"- that could be worked into a piece of your writing, and amp it up tremendously! I also found it interesting the way you took the saying "Raining cats and dogs", and while also tweaking it as you did in the first example, but going even further in grounding the saying to a more specific place of residence.

    However, what I would like to see you use more of here is detail, detail, detail! Although you did a wonderful job with imagery and also using some concrete imagery, I think that you have the potential to morph these metaphors even more. You did a great job with constructing these frequently used "doughy" terms into something more hard, but I think that you can take the self-rising metaphors a step further and make them into a delicious and savy tasteful new flavor.

    ReplyDelete